Thursday, August 18, 2016

My Ascension (Part 2)


Monism is the belief in a singleness or oneness of a concept. A center point that applies to any art or discipline. As a technique evolves over time, divergent paths form.

Monism is at the center of Mage: The Ascension. According to the lore presented in the core rule book, groups like the Nephandi of the Near East brought about the "Mythic ages" through their study and worship of deific forms. "God" is a word that gets thrown around a lot, especially in my neck of the woods, but it's a fitting title for these thoughtforms, as they shift bodies and slither from one century to the next.

A single God. How quaint. How simple it must be to live under one divine structure. You're probably wondering what this has to do with a role playing game. It's all about communicating with gods! Let's circle back to that tiny apartment where I participated in my first Mage session . . .

Like a 'Nam flashback, the scene returns to me. I can "see" it still. My character attempted to use matter manipulation to trap an agent of the Technocracy within the wreckage of his own overturned S.U.V. After a jump-scare right out of Terminator, my fellow mages and I were relieved to learn that the Technocratic agent was in fact disabled, and his final threatening gesture was little more than a death rattle.

(Assuming robots can "die", but that's spitting hairs.)

Before we could celebrate out victory over the establishment, Paradox set in. While bending metal and rubber and concrete to my will was an impressive feat, I'd upset something old and primal in the universe. A strange sensation enveloped my character, then a sharp pain. Then a bulge appeared under his shirt . . . I remove it to find something that wasn't there before: a tiny limb, fresh and pale and underdeveloped was growing from my abdomen.

I made a mistake. My magic hadn't been coincidental enough. I'd pushed on the walls of reality and reality said, "No bruh," and pushed back. So there we were, running back to our safe house after barely surviving a bout with the Technocracy, a gimpy little arm protruding from where it shouldn't.

I warned you things would get weird.

A couple of years later. A different campaign. A different character. I had much more history and lore under my belt, and I was better prepared for what my storyteller was going to throw at me. And I had a secret weapon, to boot. I had "God" on my side, or at least something very similar.

A member of the Virtual Adept (one class of Mage), I utilized telecommunications to make my psychic commands more coincidental and less offensive to the universe. Thanks to Neil Gaiman's American Gods, I had a different understanding of how deific forms might operate in our world and I wanted to use that knowledge to the fullest.

Our group had infiltrated a secret hideout of the Void Engineers, a subsection of the Technocracy that specializes in extradimensional travel. They'd found something from beyond, a very old and very powerful machine that could tip the scales in their favor and obliterate magic once and for all.

Attempting to stop them from cracking the dimensional barrier and recovering the Old Machine, I used a megaphone to not only magnify my voice, but give a destructive sonic force to my words. Like the voice of the Almighty in Dogma, techno-skulls cracked and exploded from the force of the sound. My previous character's trick with the wrecked car paled in comparison to this stunt, but thanks to coincidental nature of the move and a hot roll of the dice, I received very little in the way of cosmic punishment.

The Judeo-Christian God might have sat this one out, but Hermes, master communicator of the Greek pantheon, was by my side.

As you can see, Mage: The Ascension (and all of the White Wolf games for that matter) tends to dip into much stranger territory than your usual run-of-the-mill Dungeons & Dragons game. To be honest, the two scenarios I (poorly) described up above are two of the more tamer instances of my friends and I tampering with forces beyond our comprehension.

Having at least a rudimentary understanding of how Mages work, the next step was to integrate some of the other character types from the World of Darkness. Free-wheeling mages fighting cyborgs is fun for a session or three, but the real wacky stuff begins when you incorporate vampires, lychans, and fae lore into your campaign.

It was time to go book shopping!

To Be Continued . . .

Twitter: @ChrisBComics
E-Mail: backissuechris@gmail.com
More gaming stuff: Age of Mega

No comments:

Post a Comment